Friday, November 17, 2006

Scoops/SRO... Rest In Peace

Sad news for Liberty-ites...Scoops, formerly known as SRO, is closed down for good. We tried to go there about a week ago and it was closed...not the kind where it reopens tomorrow, but the kind where the chairs are all stacked up and everything's piled in front of the door. Then Craig drove by yesterday and there was a sign on the door that said "Tony's Cajun Cafe coming soon." So let's take a moment, all you who have fond memories of good times and good frozen custard, and post a comment about your favorite Scoops/SRO memory.

I've had many a tasty treat at Scoops, but I'm sure my favorite memory is the night Craig and I got engaged...we went to (then) SRO and got custard, then went up to William Jewell and sat on the tree swing together, and that's where Craig popped the question.

What's your favorite memory (or your favorite frozen custard concoction?)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your favorite memory is mine too. I remember getting a visit from the two of you that night, hearing the story, and taking pictures of where Craig's knees were muddy from kneeling during the proposal!

RIP Scoops, I barely knew ye.
Carrie

Anonymous said...

That is so sad! I have so many fond memories of SRO as well. All I can say is that I went so much during college that the workers knew me by name! I remember all the times with my friends (several times with you, Wilson) where we would sit around, eat yummy custard, and laugh so hard with each other that my stomach hurt! Once I like something, I tend to go overboard:) And I wondered why I gained weight in college:)

Anonymous said...

Sad, sad news. Banana with magic shell Saturdaes no more. Please, let me take a moment...

I remember singing DZ rush songs to the workers one night. I remember that EVERY time I went there I knew someone there. I remember meeting Brooke there when I finally made it back to Liberty after being in England and Atlanta. I remember Hannah throwing me a bridal shower there. We had it all to ourselves. I remember fun, happiness, and a satisfied sweet tooth.

On another sad note, the Hardware Cafe is gone, too.

Here's to change...E!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry I didn't know you and Craig the night you got engaged, what a great story though. I only went there a handful of times, but those were good times for sure! Since we owned a Maggie Moo's when I was in high school and college I got to try many different ice cream and mix-in options (and hence my weight problem since high school), thankfully in more recent years the frozen custard (supposedly more figure friendly) has come around. I like many things in mine (most fav is coffee flavoring with oreos or brownie bites), but when I want to justify it, I like to add fruit. When I go to Bill's Frozen Custard (I29 and 64th St) I always forget they don't use real fruit, but a flavoring--it is still good though!