Thursday, May 17, 2007

Welcome to Life 2.0

I've decided "Life 2.0" is a good way to describe what we are about to embark on with the birth of baby. It will definitely be a whole new version of the old program, with many upgrades and improvements, but undoubtedly some bugs and glitches that we'll have to work out. (As a matter of fact, that would have been a super-cute theme to do for baby announcements...oh well, too late! Anyone else should feel free to use that idea!)

It's just undescribably weird to me not to have any idea what life is going to be like after the baby is born. I no longer know what an average day in my own life is going to be like. I know it won't take long to figure it out, but standing on this side of the situation, it's very odd. I don't feel like I can make commitments for "A.B." (after birth) because I don't know what will be good times to do things and what will be bad times, or what I can expect as far as how much control I'll have over what I can and can't do. When I went to my dentist last and they wanted to set my next appointment for July, they asked if 10:30am was an OK time, and I thought "I have no earthly clue." Sounds great, but what if that's the middle of naptime or feeding time?

I told Craig and a few others that I think there are some things that are so big and overwhelming in life that God must just make it so our brains can't take it all in and comprehend the full magnitude of it. Otherwise, how could I be sitting here acting relatively normal and working on work stuff knowing that we'll be parents in a week and a half? When I say, "we're having a baby in a week and a half," that registers almost no emotion, like I don't even understand the words. The only explanation I can think of for this is God's gracious protection for my emotional health! Apart from that having no theological basis, I believe it! :)

4 comments:

The Perdaris Family: said...

I keep visiting your blog expecting the announcment of upgrades to the Swanson operating system. I totally understand how you feel, I keep having to remind myself that I have limitations and can't do everything or commit to everything. I can't wait to hear that baby Swanson is here!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I call dibs on babysitting during your dentist appointment! I know I owe you HUNDREDS of hours of babysitting. You just call anytime! E!

Anonymous said...

If Elizabeth can't do it-- I checked and I am free at 10:30 every weekday in July! Glad to hear all went well at the dr and am anxiously awaiting the call that you are headed out to the hospital.
Love,
Mandy :)

Charlene Armitage said...

You girls are great! Thank you! I will predict, however, that since my dentist is in Independence, Grandma Patti will have something to say about babysitting that day! :)