Monday, September 11, 2006

A pile of useless expensive things

Next to our microwave, there is a pile of useless expensive things. It's a small pile, just two things: my broken iPod, and a pair of pricy sunglasses with a shattered lens. (Actually, Craig got the sunglasses for free from work, so they are only theoretically expensive, but anyway...) Every time I look at them, sitting there so pitiful, not realizing their potential, it makes me think about the true nature of "stuff." I know that money can't buy you love, or happiness, but I do remember the sense of coolness I felt when I first bought that iPod, and the first time I wore those sunglasses, but what are they doing for me now? Nothing except making me mad at Apple. (The sunglasses manufacturer can't be held responsible...the sunglasses shouldn't have been in the car cupholder anyway.) God's teaching me something here, I have a sneaking suspicion.

No comments: